At Narang Bir-rong Aboriginal Corporation, we believe in taking a holistic approach in trying to solve some of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community’s biggest challenges. We empower our children, young people, families and carers by creating opportunities for self-determination and by supporting real change.
We are on a mission to provide culturally and spiritually stable homes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, young people and their families in order to build security and true belonging.
We honour connections with community, family, culture and Country, and nurture the cultural identity of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, young people and their families within our community.
We empower our community through education, by providing resources and support that educates and empowers children, young people, parents and carers.
We hold ourselves accountable to provide consistency of care and remain a safe refuge always.
We strive to build security and true belonging in our children.
We ensure confidentiality for children, young people, their families and carers within our community.
Narang Bir-rong aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal children and young people who are unable to remain at home with their families.
- To provide a holistic service that focuses on the individuality of each child or young person, with a tailored focus on their health, educational, social, cultural and emotional needs.
- To educate and empower parents and children by building on their strengths, creating confidence in their own abilities and improving their competence, so that families can remain safely together, or be reunited through restoration.
- To foster a partnership between children, young people, their families and carers to achieve the goals they have identified in their care plans.
- Whenever possible, fostering the cultural identity of children, young people and their families by providing carers who are from the same community or language group with which the child or young person and their family identify.
Our programs are committed to providing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people with the care they need to meet their social, emotional and behavioural needs.
Our Family Preservation program helps build strong, well-functioning families by providing resources and support that educates and empowers parents and children. By building on their strengths, creating confidence in their own abilities and improving their competence, we enable many families to remain safely together, or to be reunited through restoration.
While family preservation is the goal of all the work we do, sometimes children and young people require out-of-home care to meet their social, emotional and behavioural needs. Our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foster Care program is committed to placing children and young people in care situations that are appropriately matched to support their identity and self-esteem.
Learn more about our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander family programs.
Our Foster Care Stories
Sharing the stories of our foster carers allows us to tell you about the real impact our community has. The patience, compassion and perseverance of our carers are truly inspiring, and show how we can bring tangible and positive change to the lives of children and young people in our care.